At CFAR our hearts are with the many Albertan who are currently being affected by the fires in northern Alberta. We have many members, friends, colleagues, and family members who have lost so much in this tragic time; yet we are seeing the brilliance, resilience, and determination of Albertans, which gives us great hope. In an effort to try and play our part, we have decided to host a fundraiser for Fort McMurray and area residents at our Annual Conference. The gala evening on Wednesday, May 25th will now include opportunities to support evacuees from the region. More information will be made available in the coming days.
In addition, we are dedicating this page to everyone who is in need of support or interested in providing support. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
For all those affected by forest fires, Service Canada has provided a reference code to apply for EI without having an ROE generated. Please Service Canada for more information.
If you are on social media and looking for resources, consider the following:
- Facebook group Fort Mac Fire Donations is crowdsourcing donations for items such as toiletries, socks and pillows, as needed.
- On Twitter, people are offering help through hashtags such as #ymmfire and#ymmhelp
- Follow @CFARsociety on Twitter for updates and news as well get it
If you are interested in donating or volunteering, the following is a list of tips and links that can help you make the most of your effort. Thanks to Zane Schwartz of Macleans for putting this list together, and keeping it updated here.
- If you want to donate to the Red Cross, you can give any amount through this link: Alberta Fires Appeal. Alternately, you can donate $5 by texting REDCROSS to 30333 or donate $10 by texting FIRES to 45678. Be careful: There are some scammers posing as the Red Cross asking for money on social media. Justin Trudeau announced that the federal government is matching all donations made to the Red Cross for the Fort McMurray Wildfires.
- If you want to donate to the Salvation Army, you can give any amount through this link: Alberta Fire Response.
- If you want to donate to Save the Children, you can give any amount through this link: Fort McMurray Emergency Wildfire.
- If you need a place to stay, or are looking to take in some evacuees, check out these Facebook groups:Fort McMurray Evacuee Open Source Help Page, Fort Mcmurray evac relocation help group.
- Airbnb has waived all service fees for those affected by the fire, and there are already over 140 places listed on the site for free.
- Those able to house displaced people can also sign up at ymmfire.ca
- The Calgary Humane Society is taking donations, you can give here: Fundraiser in Support of Fort McMurray.
- The Edmonton Humane Society is also taking donations, you can give here: Fort McMurray Wildfire Donation form.
- Those looking to house people’s pets, help unify lost pets with owners, and generally assist with animal rescue should check out this Facebook page: Fort McMurray Fire Emergency Animal Assistance
DONATE FOOD AND ITEMS:
- If you want to donate items such as blankets or clothes, check out this Facebook group: Fort Mac Fire Donations. Make sure you’re only giving things people actually need. People often donate things after a disaster that aren’t needed, and sometimes actually get in the way of vital supplies.
- Edmonton Emergency Relief Services is collecting new shoes, towels, socks, underwear, diapers, baby wipes, and toiletries. Drop off items at: Hangar 2: 3631 – 56 Ave East, Edmonton International Airport.
- Edmonton’s Food Bank is collecting donations. Food can be dropped off at any major grocery store or fire hall.
- The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is inviting volunteers to sign up here.
- Edmonton Emergency Relief Services is looking for volunteers at a number of locations throughout Edmonton. Follow their Facebook page: Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society, for the latest updates on where volunteers are needed. All volunteers need to be 16 or older.
- Those interested in volunteering with the Red Cross can sign up here.